Life Group Discussion Guide
Blessing & Blessed Sermon Series
“Blessed to be a Blessing” by Pastor Tony
Leaders, please choose only the best question(s) for your group
December 8, 2019
If you have questions, contact Pastor Ric,
Below are some discussion questions relating to a recent sermon. These are provided so that your Life Group can discuss what was shared. Previous Weeks’ Discussion Guides and Sermon Notes are available through the Sermons under the Resources menu. Click on the sermon series and then the sermon you are interested in. You will see a paper icon under the sermon title. Click the icon to open the sermon notes. To listen to the sermon, click on the speaker icon.
Context: We use the term “blessed” or “blessings” quite often especially during the Christmas season. What would it truly look like if each day we chose to bless another in an unexpected way? How might that change that person’s day and your yours?”
Sermon Texts: Matthew 13:10-17; Luke 12:48; Acts 20:35; Numbers 6:24-26
Spend a few moments re-capping the sermon. What thought, concept, text or phrase popped out to you?
Think of the word(s) bless, blessed, blessing.
- What comes to mind/what do you think of?
- How are they different?
- Has there been a time you’ve experienced this unexpectedly?
- What does it mean to be a blessing or to bless someone?
Re-read Matthew 13:10-17
- What two types of people are being contrasted in this passage?
- Spend a few minutes making observations of these two people.
- Discuss how this plays out in, this church, their relationships (oikos), and their families
- How does this reality change the way you:
- View others?
- Pray for others?
- Serve those around you?
- Share with others?
2. How are we (those able to understand) able to “hear & perceive?” (v.16)
- When blessed, you have the resources to be a blessing. What would it (or does it) look like to implement this reality into your life?
Re-read Acts 20:35 – “It is more blessed to give than receive.”
- How does focusing on the gift of the gospel help motivate us? How do we make sure this doesn’t start sounding like a checklist or duty?
- What do you have that you can share so that others might experience joy with you?
- How have you experienced joy in the journey of giving and receiving?
- Take some time to thank Him for the gift of understanding the gospel.
- Pray for those in your oikos who need the gift/blessing of understanding this gift. Pray that God through His Spirit would work in their hearts.
Take-a-ways from the sermon:
- Write down how you have been blessed and thank God for those blessings.
- What do you have that you can share so that others might be fortunate and experience joy with you?
- During this advent season, make a point to bless one person each day with an unexpected blessing.
The Lord bless you
and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.
- Numbers 6:24-26