Life Group Discussion Guide
Looking Forward Sermon Series
“The Makings of a Disciple” by Pastor Tony
January 12, 2020
If you have questions, contact Pastor Ric,
Below are some discussion questions relating to a recent sermon. These are provided so that your Life Group can discuss what was shared. Previous Weeks’ Discussion Guides and Sermon Notes are available through the Sermons under the Resources menu. Click on the sermon series and then the sermon you are interested in. You will see a paper icon under the sermon title. Click the icon to open the sermon notes. To listen to the sermon, click on the speaker icon.
Context: This is our new four-week series designed to help us prepare for the amazing things God is going to do as we move into our new facility while maintaining our vision of “Creating Space, Expecting Harvest!” These four sermons are meant to calibrate our hearts, our eyes, and our minds upon the vision of “Expecting Harvest.” How do we prepare for it? What does it mean? What is my role? Last week, we considered our heart of compassion for the harvest. This week, we consider the source of the harvest: Our heart of love for Jesus and how it affects our love for others.
Sermon Texts: John 3:16-18; John 13:1-5, 34-35; 1 John 4:7-21; Ephesians 5:1-2; Revelation 2:2-5a
Leaders, please choose only the best question(s) for your group.
We are praying for you as you lead these discussions:
- Spend a few moments processing Pastor Tony’s teaching. What thought, concept, text or phrase caught your attention or has triggered further questions?
- Have a conversation about the role each person of the Trinity played in allowing us to participate in God’s heart of love for the world. (1 John 4:7-21)
- Love is risky. What happens to us when we give ourselves over to fear? What does this say about our understanding of God’s heart of love? How does it affect our ability to share the gospel?
- Review over Tony’s Relationship Check-up Points on how can I do a better job of loving others, being self-assured that this is my reputation?
- When you think of Jesus, what do you feel?
- Is love for others what you are known for?
- If we consider our relationship between us and Jesus is like a marriage, what steps would you take to rekindle or ignite that relationship?
- Reference John 13:1-5; Ephesians 5:1,2; Revelation 2:2-5a
- Believers sometimes slip into judgement mode when it comes to culture. John 3:17 has the solution: Discuss how this is a problem for some, and how to have a biblical perspective on embracing and loving our culture, yet not indulging in its excesses.