Life Group Discussion Guide
Looking Forward Sermon Series
“Sowing Seeds by Hospitality” by Pastor Tony
January 19, 2020
If you have questions, contact Pastor Ric,
Below are some discussion questions relating to a recent sermon. These are provided so that your Life Group can discuss what was shared. Previous Weeks’ Discussion Guides and Sermon Notes are available through the Sermons under the Resources menu. Click on the sermon series and then the sermon you are interested in. You will see a paper icon under the sermon title. Click the icon to open the sermon notes. To listen to the sermon, click on the speaker icon.
Context: This is our four-week series designed to help us prepare for the amazing things God is going to do as we move into our new facility while maintaining our vision of “Creating Space, Expecting Harvest!” These four sermons are meant to calibrate our hearts, our eyes, and our minds upon the vision of “Expecting Harvest.” How do we prepare for it? What does it mean? What is my role? This week we consider the importance of hospitality as it is clearly demonstrated in scripture. What was “God’s table” like? How should yours resemble it? How can hospitality be an integral part of building relationships with our oikos?
Sermon Texts: Exodus 25:23-30; John 6:48-51; Matthew 9:9-13; Matthew 5:13-16
Leaders, please choose only the best question(s) for your group.
We are praying for you as you lead these discussions:
Tony’s Take Aways:
Practicing Hospitality Begins with a Welcoming Spirit:
- This begins at home by welcoming others to your table.
- Our hospitality should shine most brightly in God’s house, through relationships at church. Inviting and welcoming others at church.
- Having a welcoming spirit should go wherever your feet take you.
- Spend a few moments processing Pastor Tony’s teaching. What thought, concept, text or phrase caught your attention or has triggered further questions?
- How do you view your home? Are you more prone to see it as a place of retreat or as an opportunity for the gospel? Why?
- Identify the stuff of culture that hinders hospitality: social media, entertainment, busyness, etc.? Discuss some solutions to counter this.
- How do we reveal the face of God (the “Living Bread”) when we practice hospitality? Ask yourself the “what if” questions:
- What if God put them next door so that…?
- What if they are hurting in some way…?
- What if I don’t know my neighbors, coworkers, people in my community, etc.? How do I find commonality?
- Who are they and what is my plan to reveal the Bread of Life to them?
- How can we strategize to better practice hospitality as Life Groups (with each other and with our oikos)?