Life Group Discussion Guide
Blessing & Blessed Sermon Series
“Giving That Honors God” by Pastor Matt
December 15, 2019
If you have questions, contact Pastor Ric,
Below are some discussion questions relating to a recent sermon. These are provided so that your Life Group can discuss what was shared. Previous Weeks’ Discussion Guides and Sermon Notes are available through the Sermons under the Resources menu. Click on the sermon series and then the sermon you are interested in. You will see a paper icon under the sermon title. Click the icon to open the sermon notes. To listen to the sermon, click on the speaker icon.
Context: Giving and Generosity are two different things. Sunday morning, we saw God’s generosity and the many blessings he’s given us “to the praise of His glory.” In what ways do you tend to express to those around you the blessings you’ve received?
Sermon Texts: Mark 12:41-44; Romans 1:20; Ephesians 1:3-14; 2:1-10
Leaders, please choose only the best question(s) for your group. We are praying for you as you lead these discussions:
Spend a few moments re-capping the sermon. What thought, concept, text or phrase popped out to you?
Think of the words “giving” and “generosity.”
- What comes to mind? What do you think of?
- What’s the difference between the two?
- How can you discern the difference?
- Has there been a time you’ve been on the receiving end of someone’s generosity?
- Would you classify yourself as a generous person? How so?
- Is there an area of your life where you might need to develop a generous spirit?
Re-read Ephesians 1:3-14
- As you re-read this text, what stood out?
- Is there one “blessing” that stands out to you?
- Maybe it’s harder to believe.
- Maybe it blows you away, makes you want to worship.
- With a partner, pick a truth in these verses and spend a few minutes finding other texts that support this blessing. Share your “support” texts with the group.
Pastor Matt mentioned “Our God is a generous God.”
Come up with some biblical examples of this statement.
In his conclusion, Pastor Matt gave four practical examples of generosity:
- Mentoring and Discipleship
- Does one of these four seem like an option for you to pursue?
- Is there another practical way you plan on extending the blessings you’ve received to your oikos, the people that God has strategically placed in your daily life?
Spend a few minutes at the end of your group time praying through Ephesians 1:3-14. Spend time thanking Him for the ways He has blessed us!