Life Group Discussion Guide
Rock of Ages, 1 & 2 Peter Sermon Series
“Refined by the Fire of Trials” by Pastor Randy
February 16, 2020
If you have questions, contact Pastor Ric,
Below are some discussion questions relating to a recent sermon. These are provided so that your Life Group can discuss what was shared. Previous Weeks’ Discussion Guides and Sermon Notes are available through the Sermons under the Resources menu. Click on the sermon series and then the sermon you are interested in. You will see a paper icon under the sermon title. Click the icon to open the sermon notes. To listen to the sermon, click on the speaker icon.
Context: Who is Jesus? Who is Peter? These are great questions to have answers to as we pursue our life in Christ and study 1&2 Peter. Peter’s epistles were written to love on and prepare the church to follow Jesus in spite of challenges realized and yet to come. Peter, “the Rock”, is now in Rome, the epicenter of the known world. He is awaiting his time, but charging to the end, inspired by his “living hope”. We should embrace this very charge ourselves! Today our study with Pastor Randy is about the refiner’s fire and how it shapes us to be more like Jesus.
Sermon Texts: Matthew 14:22-33; 1 Peter 1:7-9
Leaders, please choose only the best question(s) for your group.
We are praying for you as you lead these discussions:
Pastor Randy’s Take Aways:
- God wants to refine us, but it is our choice whether we want to be refined.
- Our trying experiences today are preparing us to reflect Him more.
- Great faith simply believes truths that are difficult to believe.
- Early in your Christian faith, with what truths in Scripture, life, and theology did you struggle to believe? What happened that caused you to finally believe without doubting? Are you still wrestling with some of these truths?
- Share a time when a truth from Scripture became more real to you because it intersected with a personal experience.
- God has a design for the trials we face in life. What makes it hard to embrace His design?
- Pastor/Author John Piper said, “The Gospels are better than being there!” Share a moment while reading the Gospels when you received a fresh glimpse of who Jesus is.
- How do you see your life reflecting the image of Christ more today than a year ago?