Life Group Discussion Guide
Rock of Ages, 1 & 2 Peter Sermon Series
“The People’s Victory” by Pastor Nicholas
March 15, 2020
If you have questions, contact Pastor Ric,
Below are some discussion questions relating to a recent sermon. These are provided so that your Life Group can discuss what was shared. Previous Weeks’ Discussion Guides and Sermon Notes are available through the Sermons under the Resources menu. Click on the sermon series and then the sermon you are interested in. You will see a paper icon under the sermon title. Click the icon to open the sermon notes. To listen to the sermon, click on the speaker icon.
Context: Peter’s epistles were written to love on and prepare the church to follow Jesus in spite of challenges realized and yet to come. Peter, “the Rock”, is now in Rome, the epicenter of the known world. He is awaiting his time, but charging to the end, inspired by his “living hope”. Remember, there is hope that carries us through the suffering. Jesus leads us through the suffering not away from it. Our salvation was accomplished through suffering which leads to the glory of Jesus through his work in us. Our Father in heaven, God, loves us with an everlasting love.
Sermon Texts: 1 Peter 1:23-25; John 3; John 19:3, 4; Colossians 1:15-18
Pastor Nicholas’ “Nudges” for the week:
- May we have the awareness of our re-birth.
- May the difficult lessons along the way be lessons received instead of rejected.
- May we be confident in the imperishable seed that is at the root of all Christ followers.
- May we see people with the eyes of Jesus, as beloved, not as problematic.
- May the Spirit guide us in our reading of scripture, always through the lens of Jesus. Not for our own victory, but for all people.
Leaders, please choose 2 or 3 questions for your group.
We are praying for you as you lead these discussions:
- What about today’s teaching caused you to question, want to dig deeper, or resulted in even more questions about pursuing your life in Christ?
- What does it mean to you to read scripture through the lens of Jesus?
- Who is Jesus and what is scripture? (What books of the Bible tell us who Jesus is?)
- What about the story of Nicodemus’ life impresses you? In what ways should we be more like him?
- This week I bought a t-shirt with an ironic slogan, “The Church has left the building.” How can we best use these next weeks away from the church building to be the church and impact our oikos?