Life Group Discussion Guide
Thriving in Babylon Sermon Series
“Sweep the Leg” by Pastor Nicholas
Leaders, please choose only the best question(s) for your group
November 24, 2019
If you have questions, contact Pastor Ric,
Below are some discussion questions relating to a recent sermon. These are provided so that your Life Group can discuss what was shared. Previous Weeks’ Discussion Guides and Sermon Notes are available through the Sermons under the Resources menu. Click on the sermon series and then the sermon you are interested in. You will see a paper icon under the sermon title. Click the icon to open the sermon notes. To listen to the sermon, click on the speaker icon.
Summary and Context: Our series, Thriving in Babylon is focused on how we can live for God even when the culture around us denies him and belittles/persecutes those who follow him. Daniel, because of his service and confidence in a faithful God, had the privilege of impacting the lives of four different kings and their kingdoms! He thrived in his faith even in the midst of extreme cultural pressures because of his commitment to and relationship with the living God. As we wrap up this series, we are going to look at success as American culture defines it to contrast it with biblical faith. Our view of success can distort our understanding of faith and hinder our spiritual growth. Today, Pastor Nicholas shows us how this is possible and how we can become better people of faith.
Sermon Texts: Hebrews 11
- What about Pastor Nicholas’ teaching this morning was troubling, inspiring, convicting, or confusing?
- Why should we be interested in the failures of the faithful?
- As a Life Group, come up with a definition of the word “idol.” Is there a difference between hobbies and idolatry?
- Has the idol of “success” affected the church in America? How?
Each one of us are surrounded by people in our relational world, our Oikos, who are watching our responses to situations every day.
- How could OUR personal, religious, or cultural idolatry challenge our witness to those in our oikos?
- Go to the gospels and discover the stories of Jesus. How did he deal with his spiritual battles? What are the characteristics of his strategies?