Suffering that leads to Glory - Life Reimagined
Hopeless travelers on Resurrection Day.Luke 24:13-19a
- Emmaus was a small village a few miles northeast of Jerusalem.
- These two travelers share with us a story that happened to them on Resurrection Sunday.Meeting the requirements of a two-fold witness according Jewish law.
- Likely part of the 72 sent out by Jesus.
- They were recipients of the testimony provided the women who went to the tomb— “our women”.(22)
- They were “companions” to the disciples who went to verify the empty tomb. (24)
- They related the story of the angel and the empty tomb just as reported in the other Gospels.
- Jesus shows up! (15)
- They were kept by God from recognizing him.
- What are you talking about?
- Their countenance revealed that they were defeated and discouraged in spite of the testimony of the morning.
The heart behind hopelessness. Luke 24:19-24
- Big impressions set up big expectations. (19)
- Jesus was a prophet.
- Powerful speaker and powerful in action.
- They saw and heard the approval of both God and the people for Jesus.
- Jesus died at the hands of those who seemed less powerful than Jesus. (20)
- They were not examining the Scriptures to seek understanding, but rather embraced their emotions as fact.
- They embraced doubt in the face of testimony of Jesus resurrection. (22-24)
Truth trumps doubt. Luke 24:25-31
- They were chided for being foolish for embracing hopelessness and doubt rather than believing.
- Jesus reveals the truth spoken in scripture: “The messiah must suffer before glory comes.”(26)
- Jesus begins with Moses [Law] which reveals that we are all utterly sinful. (27a)
- Jesus then goes to the prophets which reveals how God will redeem mankind from destruction. (27b)
- Then Jesus breaks bread—Remembrance and revelation happens. It is Jesus!!! (30-31)
2 Corinthians 5:21“God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.”
Benediction: Burning Hearts! Luke 24:32-35
- Is your heart burning right now? Cry out to Jesus!
- Cry out and embrace hope and reject doubt.
Romans 10:9“If you declarewith your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believein your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”
Life gives us so many unexpected challenges. This series is taking a look at Jesus' life and taking notes for how to live and navigate life as he has best designed!