Our God is a Missionary God
God’s Missionary Passion (a desire for worship)
- God’s passion is for HIS glory to be known throughout HIS creation.
- God’s focus is on HIMSELF more than it is on us.
- Is this self-centered? YES! But that’s because HE IS GOD!
- Psalm 29:2—“Ascribe to the LORD the glory due His name; worship the LORD in the splendor of holiness.”
- Psalm 96:3—“Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous deeds among all peoples.”
- “His glory”
God’s Missionary Promise (worshipers from all peoples)
- God’s desire is that all would worship Him
- Piper: “Missions exists because worship doesn’t.” (Let the Nations be Glad!)
- Revelation 7:9
- We know that this is His desire for the future. But did you know that it’s ALWAYS been His desire and promise?
- Genesis 12:1-4
- Seen in the Big 3
- Abraham: Genesis 22:15-18
- Isaac: Genesis 26:4
- Jacob/Israel: Genesis 28:14
God’s Missionary Provision (glory bearers sharing God’s glory to all peoples)
- So how is this to happen? What is this “blessing?” It’s JESUS CHRIST!!
- Romans 4:16-18
- Galatians 3:7-9
- Psalm 67
- Joshua 2:8-11
- As Tony said last week, an encounter with God often brings reverential fear and awe. When The people of Jericho heard of what God was doing, their “hearts melted in fear… for the LORD your God is God in heaven above and on earth below.”
- God’s works + our words = God being glorified
- What is our response to this?
- Know God and make Him known—this is what brings Him glory to all nations.
- “To all nations” presents us with a clash of values:
- Shouldn’t we seek the greatest number of believers?
- Not necessarily. What is GOD’S desire?
- Some from every people group.
- God’s Passion
- God’s Promise
- God’s Provision
- Next week: God’s PLAN for LEFC!
- Revelation 7:9
- Psalm 46:10
- To the extent that we know God, we will seek to make Him known, in our oikos and around the world.
- Closing song: “Hope of the Nations”—it’s Jesus!
- How are others going to hear about God but through those Who know Him?
Love Revealed, our mobilization emphasis series, sets us on a path of establishing who our God is, how God came to us to reveal great love, and what our response is to this phenomenal gift.