I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life
Anxiety and fear abound when feeling left behind. John 14:1
- Jesus has said the time has come for him to die. John 12:23-24
- He has also predicted that the strongest among them, Peter, would disown him by the next morning.
- Now, he says he is leaving them—they are panicked for not knowing where to go next.
*Illustration: Navigating Matamoros MX at night. Troubled in spirit. Part 1
- Do not be troubled…believe not just in God alone but in Jesus!
Jesus prepares them for his departure. John 14:2-4
- He leaves to prepare them for the end game—life eternal in the Father’s house. (2)
- He will come back for them. (3)
- This is the final resurrection.
- He assures them they know the way. (4)
Jesus is the Way to the Father. John 14:5-7
- He is the Way—the only entry point, the gate.
- He is the exclusive way to the Father and his house.
- This was such a profound proclamation that “The Way” was the original name given to the early church and its followers. Acts 9:2; 19:9, 23; 24:14, 22.
- Unmistakable that this marked the teachings of Jesus and the gospel message for the explosion of the early church and beyond.
- He is the Truth—the means by which we can live in the present.
- Knowing the truth is the means by how one can follow and live.
- The truth of man’s heart condition and the truth of the fully redemptive work of Christ on the Cross.
“You shall know the truth [Jesus] and the truth will set you free.” John 8:32
- He is the Life—the Resurrection and the life eternal.
- This is the life that death cannot touch.
- He has come that we might have life and life to the full. John 10:10
- The anticipation of this life is rooted deeply in Israel’s continued history.
- It is deeply inherent in mankind to long for something beyond death.
“Whoever obtains Christ is in want of nothing… [He is] the beginning, the middle, and the end; and hence it follows that we ought to begin with him, to continue in him, and to end in him.” John Calvin
Jesus will send the Holy Spirit to journey with us. John 14:15-18
- Jesus will ask the Father and the Father will send an advocate—the Spirit of Truth. John 14:16; 15:26
- He will live in you and be with you. (17)
- This is just like what Jesus said about himself and the Father. (10)
- Just as Jesus speaks only what he hears the Father say, so too the Holy Spirit will only speak what he hears. John 16:13
- So, as the Father and Son interact, so we will interact with the Holy Spirit.
- We will be linked to the Father through the Son by the Holy Spirit!
- We will not be left alone or abandoned! (18)
*Illustration: Navigating Matamoros, MX part 2 “That’s what Jesus does.”
- Jesus is the exclusive path to a relationship with God.
- Jesus is not only THE path to God, but THE path to life eternal with God.
- Jesus gives us the Spirit of Truth to navigate life until we receive life eternal.
- Why does Jesus’ claim as the exclusive way to relationship and eternal life with God create such an offense? What is at the core of that offense within a person’s heart?
- How can you address such offenses with someone in your oikos who may balk at the exclusivity of the Gospel?
- For deeper study. John 14 and 15:26-16:15 is a detailed picture of the Trinity—Their identity, role, interrelating style, and unique functions; These sections also describe the relationship between the Trinity and us. Utilize these verses to create a profile of each person of the Trinity—their identity, function, interrelating style. What role does each person of the Trinity play in how they engage humanity?
John had a three years of observing Jesus and watching each human encounter with him reveal all the more who Jesus is. Each person needs an encounter with Jesus, and it is our prayer that you will encounter Jesus anew in the weeks ahead.