He is the light of the World
Feast of Tabernacles- Traditions practiced.
- Building of a booth, a temporary shelter, to live in for the seven days of the Festival. A reminder of the shelters the Israelites lived in during the wilderness years.
- Drawing of water from the Pool of Siloam as “living water” to remind them that God provided the water.
- Lighting of large Menorah’s (lamps) in the Court of Women near the temple. This would illuminate the Temple Court and allow for singing and dancing at night. This was also a reminder of how God led by pillar of cloud by day and pillar of fire by night.
Crowds encounter Jesus who admire his teaching, his presence, and his power (7:15). The religious leaders are threatened and enraged by the growing influence of Jesus.
The inquisition. John 7:45-52
- Chief priests and Pharisees
- Accusational and condemning.
- They accuse him falsely, but it does not stand.
- Will end up resorting to a technicality later (2 witnesses).
- Impacted by his previous encounter with Jesus in John 3.
- He is cautious to validate him.
- He too resorts to a technicality—"should he not be heard according to the law?”
Jesus testimony—“I am the light of the world.” John 8:12
- As God used a pillar of fire to lead by night, so now Jesus is the light that reveals how to walk.
- Light reveals the path.
- You can then know where to step.
Psalm 119:105 “Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light on my path”
- Jesus, the Living Word, is the light needed to see how and where to walk.
- Jesus will provide the “light of life”—the joy in the walk.
Walking in this light of life. 1 John 1:5-7
Truth #1 – God is light there is no darkness in him.
Truth #2 – Those who walk with him do not walk in darkness.
Truth #3 – Those who walk with him will find fellowship with other believers.
Truth #4 – The blood of Christ is what removes the darkness.
Benediction: Matthew 5:14-16 14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
- How would you explain Psalm 119:105 to someone in your oikos how the Word is a light to our path?
- As the Living Word, how is the life of Jesus a light to you in how to live?
- In John 8:12, after Jesus had said he is the light of the world, he says if we follow him, we will have the “light of life.” What does this phrase mean?
- Read together Matthew 5:13-16. How is it that we are the light of the World if Jesus is the light? How can this be accomplished in and through you? Why is it essential that we become light as he is light?
John had a three years of observing Jesus and watching each human encounter with him reveal all the more who Jesus is. Each person needs an encounter with Jesus, and it is our prayer that you will encounter Jesus anew in the weeks ahead.