Big decisions require prayer
What is the longest time you have ever spent in prayer in a single sitting?
What was the impetus to that occurrence?
Jesus’ first CEO decision for a world movement. Luke 6:12-16
- He chooses his team. (13a)
- From among his disciples.
- A disciple being a follower or learner.
- There was a faithful group of followers that was at least 72 strong.
- He commissions them to apostleship. (13b)
- An apostle is one who is “sent” or as more of an appointed “legal messenger.” HBD
Jesus spends an entire night in prayer.(12)
- Perhaps it is to ask of the Father whom he should choose.
- Maybe it is because he knows whom he is to choose, he is having a “not my will, but your will be done…”moment with the Father.
- 4-7 fishermen.
- One politician.
- One tax collector.
- One thief and traitor.
- A likely part of that night in prayer was spending time praying for each of the 12.
- Each of them was going to pay a heavy price for this assignment.
- Each disciple was going to be led by God to various parts of the world to share the gospel and at great peril.
- As seen later in Jesus addressing Peter about Satan’s request to sift him as wheat, Jesus had already been praying for his success. Luke 22:31-32
The disciple’s ministry and sacrifice.
Peter- Jerusalem, Turkey, Asia-minor, Rome. He was crucified upside down in Rome.
Andrew- Georgia, Bulgaria, Turkey, and Greece where he was crucified.
James son of Zebedee- Judea. Was the first apostle to die. Beheaded by Herod Tetrarch. Acts 12:1-2
John- Hierapolis, Ephesus. Survived being boiled and banned to the island of Patmos.
Philip- Eastern Turkey, Phrygia. Crucified face down there.
Bartholomew- India and Georgia. Crucified upside down.
Matthew- Ethiopia and Egypt. Speared to death.
Thomas- Iran, Afghanistan, India. Speared to death.
James son of Alphaeus- Jerusalem. Stoned to death.
Simon the Zealot- Mauritania, Northwest coast of Africa, and Britain where he was crucified.
Judas son of James(Thaddeus)- Syria, Turkey, Iraq, and Iran. Clubbed to death.
Judas Iscariot- Stole from and betrayed Jesus. Death by suicide on the same day as Jesus’ death.
Matthias- Syria and Israel. Burned to death.
Praying long over big decisions.
- Pray to know God’s heart.
- In prayer align your heart to God’s heart.
- Pray to know direction.
- Pray for those affected.
Jesus’ longest recorded prayer. John 17
- Jesus either prayed this in the upper room or while in route to the Garden on the night of his betrayal and arrest. BEC
- He began with alignment with the Father. (4)
- He prayed for his disciples lives and ministry. (11)
- He prayed for future believers. (20-21)
- He prayed for the mission of love to endure. (25-26)
Life gives us so many unexpected challenges. This series is taking a look at Jesus' life and taking notes for how to live and navigate life as he has best designed!