Before and After
Extreme Makeover- Homes, cars, people. [Images: Side by Side “Before and After” images for each]
The most difficult makeover maybe one’s character. Is it possible?
- Self-centered vs. Others-centered.
- To serve rather than be served.
- Half full vs. half empty
- Independent vs. dependent
- Submissive vs. Rebellious
Before we received a complete makeover in Christ. Ephesians 4:17-19
- Each of us has a default that is pre-disposed to futile thinking. (17)
- “Void of a useful aim or objective.” BKC
- A purposeless approach to life and thinking.
- Each of us were incapable of clear understanding. (18)
- No awareness of a Divine standard.
- Don’t get it when even told about it.
- Each of us lacked sensitivity to conviction of guilt. (19)
- Hearts are hardened to guilt.
- Leads to extreme behavior.
- Extreme sensual exploration.
- Extreme impurity of motives and actions.
- Extreme consumeristic greed.
After we were taught to live a life like Christ. Ephesians 4:20-24
“20But that is not the way you learned Christ!— 21 assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus,” ESV
- What we have learned is Christ, both in word and deed. (20)
- Jesus is “THE TRUTH”. (21)
- Not Paul “The Truth” Pierce (NBA)
- Not Carl “The Truth” Williams (Boxer)
- Not R. Truth (Wrestler)
- Jesus is the essence of absolute purity, the real deal, the real McCoy, 100% Genuine article.
- Life is drastically different when lived by highest standard of Truth. (22)
- Living by truth will lose or dispose of anything that is corrupted.
- Truth will expose the deceitful thoughts that choose to keep you futile in your thinking.
- Life in Christ leads to a new attitude of the mind—life with purpose.
- Loving God
- Loving Others
- Living Truth
- Proclaiming Jesus.
Assessing your need of a makeover in Christ:
- Does my behavior give evidence of purposelessness or purposefulness?
(Clarity of understanding vs. Futile thinking)
- Do I tend to justify my life’s choices?
(Tender Heart vs. Hardened heart)
- Is living for Christ the burn that makes me go?
(Living by and for the “The Truth” vs. an imposter)
Ephesians is dripping with deep and meaningful truths to cling to and particularly applicable to today. While we have certainly experienced more division in our country, in Christ oneness can be found. The unity of the Trinity is deeply sown into the DNA of those who are following Jesus Christ. The work of Christ not only ties us altogether in the present but it gives us unity of purpose as move forward into the future.