*Illustration: Teenagers at Beach Camp began standing on their chairs stating they had given their lives to Jesus. The impact upon our group was incredible at that moment and beyond as student began to share their faith in the months ahead. Eventually, that led to a young man coming to Jesus a year or two later, and he is now the lead youth pastor at West Shore. I left to come here 3 years later, and people were still coming to Jesus in the consistent sharing of faith that began that day on Long Beach Island. A movement had begun.
Our story of encountering Jesus can spark a salvific journey for others.
- An everyday moment of human encounter became extraordinary.
- Jesus wove his story into the moment by an engaging conversation of questions back and forth.
- The impact upon her in encountering Jesus was profound and her first response was to tell others about him. (27-29)
- Her story had a ripple effect upon her community as they satisfied their intrigue by coming to Jesus as well. (39-24)
Living out our relationship with Jesus with confidence and no hesitation can become the salt that creates desire to seek Jesus or the light that reveals Jesus to someone who does not know him. Matthew 5:13-16
- “Taste [salt] and see [light] that the Lord is good.” Psalm 34:8
- This is how God invites others into the journey of seeking to know him.
- Our lives lived in a way that reflects Jesus will cause even the pagan to acknowledge there is a God. 1 Peter 2:12
St Francis of Assisi [attributed to] “Preach the gospel at all times, and if necessary, use words.”
Words are necessary for someone to come to a saving faith. Romans 10:9-15
- Believe in your heart and confess with your mouth and you will be saved. (9-10)
- Belief can only happen if you have heard the gospel. (14a)
- Hearing the gospel can only happen if someone speaks it to you. (14b)
- People need to be sent to go speak. (15a)
- The feet of those who speak bringing the good news is now considered beautiful. (15b)
We best proclaim Jesus by the testimony of our mouths and by how we live.
- Our life becomes the salt others taste when they interact with us.
- The light of Jesus in us is seen as people observe as they in are near us enough to take notice of a life lived by a different pattern that exudes hope.
- As the Spirit leads, we embrace the opportunity to speak Jesus into our oikos and beyond.
*Illustration: 5 years or less, 50 years or more in knowing Jesus.
Colossians 1:27-29 “To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. 28 He is the one we proclaim, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone fully mature in Christ.29 To this end I strenuously contend with all the energy Christ so powerfully works in me.”
A series discussing the missional distinctives of our church.
The mission of LEFC is to make disciples of Jesus Christ. We do this by sharing Christ in our relational worlds and pouring into the lives of others. We seek to be people who LOVE GOD, LOVE PEOPLE, LIVE TRUTH and PROCLAIM JESUS.