Group Discussion Guide
Jesus: Life Reimagined Sermon Series
“The Weightier Matters” by Corey Mitchell
Choose the best question(s) for your group
January 27, 2019
Questions: Contact Pastor Ric,
Below are some discussion questions relating to a recent sermon. These are provided so that your Life Group can discuss what was shared. Previous Weeks’ Discussion Guides and Sermon Notes are available through the Sermons under the Resources menu. Click on the sermon series and then the sermon you are interested in. You will see a paper icon under the sermon title. Click the icon to open the sermon notes. To listen to the sermon, click on the speaker icon.
Text: Luke 6:1-11; Matthew 5 and 23
- Most of us dislike confrontation. When the opportunity comes, especially in your Oikos, to stand in defense of truth of God’s Word, how does Jesus’ example serve as a model for us?
- How does Jesus’ statement (Matthew 23) about the “spirit” v. the “letter” of the law affect us? What groups or people do you think struggle the most with this today? Does personality type affect this?
- There are lots of important lifestyle issues in the church today. Divorce, immorality, lifestyle, etc. Why does it seem that few are concerned with how much we love God since it is the greatest commandment? What could we do to change this?
- Legalism can still be a problem for us. What forms does it take in the church, in our homes, in us? How can we continue to eliminate it from our churches and our own lives?
- Our kids need to observe our love for God. Discuss some thoughts about parenting to raise kids who do not struggle with legalism and understand that salvation is not accomplished mainly by obedience/being good but is by Faith and love for God?