Group Discussion Guide
Thriving in Babylon Sermon Series
“Not of my Making” by Pastor Tony
Choose the best question(s) for your group:
Below are some discussion questions relating to a recent sermon. These are provided so that your Life Group can discuss what was shared. Previous Weeks’ Discussion Guides and Sermon Notes are available through the Sermons under the Resources menu. Click on the sermon series and then the sermon you are interested in. You will see a paper icon under the sermon title. Click the icon to open the sermon notes. To listen to the sermon, click on the speaker icon.
Texts: 2 Kings 20:12-19; Daniel 1:1-17
Context: Daniel, because of his service to a faithful God, had the privilege to impact three different kingdoms. He thrived in his faith even in the midst of difficult cultural pressures. Just like Daniel, who was a slave who influenced kings, we can resolve to be individuals who influence our culture.
- Spend a few moments re-capping the sermon. What thought, concept, text or phrase popped out to you?
- How did Hezekiah’s lifestyle choices affect Daniel 100 years and five generations later? (2 Kings 20:12-19)
- Re-tell the story of Daniel 1. Set the scene of the Babylonian culture.
- Put yourself in Daniel’s shoes. How would you feel if this were you – suffering the sins of another?
- What would be your attitude to those above you, beside you, and below you? What would your relationship with God look like?
- Each one of us are surrounded by people in our sphere of influence, our Oikos, who are watching our responses to situations every day. Our faith and our resolve are on display to those with whom we come into contact.
- How did this play out in Daniel 1? Who was on the periphery watching as Daniel boldly trusted God? Who might have been encouraged? Who might have asked questions?
- Tell us about an instance when your trust in Christ resulted in your Oikos taking notice.
- How can we pray this week that this would be the case in your life?
- Think of a time where you’ve experienced being a victim. Share your experience with the group.
- What was your response?
- Was it easy or tempting to blame shift (blame God, others, etc.) or complain about the unfairness?
- Did the question, “Why me?” echo in your mindset?
- Read Colossians 3. How did you “set your minds on things above, not focusing on earthly things, dwelling on His Word with a thankful attitude?”
- This morning, as we looked at Daniel, Tony challenged us to choose/resolve to live like Daniel.
Define resolve. (Tony’s definition: to choose deeply within)
- What does it mean to have resolve?
- Can you give an example of resolve?
- What is the difference between trust/faith and resolve?
- What is the role of resolve? What is the role of faith?
- How can a lack of trust in God lead us into:
- A victim mentality?
- A loss of identity?
- Tony’s four “Take Aways” from Sunday morning’s message:
- Not have a victim mindset
- Resolve, not get stuck on the “What if’s…”
- Fear God more than man
- Represent God in both action and attitude
Is there one of these four concepts that might be more difficult than the others for you?
- What truth do we need to believe about God?
- Where do we put our trust?