Group Discussion Guide
Prayer: Knowing and Experiencing God Sermon Series
Does Prayer Make a Difference With a Sovereign God? by Pastor Tony
Choose the best question(s) for your group
Below are some discussion questions relating to a recent sermon. These are provided so that your Life Group can discuss what was shared. Previous Weeks’ Discussion Guides and Sermon Notes are available through the Sermons under the Resources menu. Click on the sermon series and then the sermon you are interested in. You will see a paper icon under the sermon title. Click the icon to open the sermon notes. To listen to the sermon, click on the speaker icon.
Texts: Ephesians 1:3-23; Genesis 50:19-21; Philippians 4:4-9
- How do we reconcile the fact that God is both sovereign (He does as he wills) and personal (We are to be responsible), OR how do my prayers make any difference? (To look at the other scripture references Tony listed in his sermon, go to Sermons under the Resources menu on our LEFC website.)
- I have heard a few of my friends (some who are not yet followers of Jesus) ask for prayer for those experiencing Hurricane Florence this past week. How could we use tragic events like this to engage our Oikos in important conversations about prayer?
- When it seems that God is not answering, not listening, not loving, how should we respond? (Remember Genesis 50:20) Talk about some ways we can help one another through our Life Group relationships when we struggle with unanswered prayer.
- What are our lives like without much prayer? What are we missing out on? How does prayer help us become more mature disciples of Jesus?
- Can prayer change the mind of God or move his heart? (i.e. Hezekiah). Should we be careful how we pray?