Group Discussion Guide
Jesus: Life Reimagined Sermon Series
“Valuing the Greater Things” by Pastor Tony
Choose the best question(s) for your group
Below are some discussion questions relating to a recent sermon. These are provided so that your Life Group can discuss what was shared. Previous Weeks’ Discussion Guides and Sermon Notes are available through the Sermons under the Resources menu. Click on the sermon series and then the sermon you are interested in. You will see a paper icon under the sermon title. Click the icon to open the sermon notes. To listen to the sermon, click on the speaker icon.
Text: Luke 10:38-42; John 12:1-12
- How highly valued is work vs. “worship” especially in our local culture today as compared to Jesus’ time? Which clearly should be most important? What is the essence of our struggle here (e.g. work, money, faith, etc.)? Why do Life Groups represent a huge step in building relationships in line with Jesus’ values (discipleship) in the context of worship?
- How do people typically decide values in life? What really is the one “better thing” for a follower of Jesus? How do we live consistently with a heart in line with Him? (Why did Mary leave the kitchen and sit at Jesus’ feet?)
- Think of your Oikos—are there signs of “misguided hearts” there? Is this exclusively a spiritual issue (i.e. are there other cultural/personality issues)? How can we best model Jesus’ heart in our Oikos?
- What happened to Martha in the stories from Luke 10 to John 12? Compare and contrast her attitude and actions.
- Write a contemporary version of the John 12 story. In your version, with what would the perfume be replaced? Which player would you be? (Honesty required :-)