POST TENEBRAS LUX --- (AFTER DARKNESS, LIGHT)
Follow Christ Even in Suffering - Pastor Tony
Group Discussion Guide
Printer Friendly Version
Choose the best question(s) for your group
December 10, 2017
Questions by Pastor Ric
Below are some discussion questions relating to a recent sermon. These are provided so that your Life Group can discuss what was shared. Previous Weeks’ Discussion Guides and Sermon Notes are available through the Sermons under the Resources menu. Click on the sermon series and then the sermon you are interested in. You will see a paper icon under the sermon title. Click the icon to open the sermon notes. To listen to the sermon click on the speaker icon.
Thesis #94 “Christians should be exhorted to be diligent in following Christ, their Head, through penalties, death, and hell.”
Thesis #95 “And thus be confident of entering into heaven through many tribulations rather than through the false security of peace (Acts 14:22).”
Luther pays the price in isolation! He saw it coming for himself and others.
Texts: 1 Peter 4:12-16; Acts 5:41; 2 Timothy 1:8; Philippians 1:29
- Be sure to review your notes on the Catholic church and discuss ways in which both Protestants and Catholics today can partner for the sake of the gospel. How is this beneficial to the cause of Christ? How could your Life Group participate in such a partnership?
- Have a conversation about what suffering (1 Peter 4:12-16; 2 Timothy 1:8) for followers of Jesus (for His name) looks like in different parts of the globe (Iran, Iraq, China, etc.), from what you understand to be happening in our world today. Are Christ-followers in the USA really suffering?
- If we are to be disciples of Jesus, we should expect personal suffering (James 1:2-8). How we have suffered for Jesus is key to our spiritual transformation into mature disciples, yet it is common for us to resist this. How do I embrace suffering as good in a culture that is committed to comfort? How does my reaction to suffering affect those in my Oikos who are not yet Christ-followers?
- Spend some extended time in prayer. Use the guide below that Pastor Tony shared in his teaching today.
Prayer for the CHURCH
- Pray that the Church will walk according to his Name and to his glory.
- Pray that the Church will not shrink back from the face of suffering.
- For the Word to be the authority, even in the face of social rejection.
- For our spirit to be one of gentleness in respect to those who insult us.
- For our suffering to bring glory to God by changing lives.
- Pray for those who are suffering around the world for the name of Jesus.
- For their perseverance.
- For their suffering to produce fruit in the lives of those who harm them and are watching their testimony of faith.
- Pray that the Church will flourish in this region and a harvest will happen!