Group Discussion Guide
Anchored Sermon Series
“The Cost of Forgiveness” by Pastor Matt
Choose the best question(s) for your group
Below are some discussion questions relating to a recent sermon. These are provided so that your Life Group can discuss what was shared. Previous Weeks’ Discussion Guides and Sermon Notes are available through the Sermons under the Resources menu. Click on the sermon series and then the sermon you are interested in. You will see a paper icon under the sermon title. Click the icon to open the sermon notes. To listen to the sermon, click on the speaker icon.
Texts: Matthew 18:21-35, Colossians 2:13-14, Isaiah 43:25, Luke 23:24, Colossians 3:12-14, Ephesians 4:32, Matthew 6:9-15
- Were there any quotes, thoughts, concepts, or stories spoken this morning that really resonated with you? Why?
- Read the texts. Recap any major points Pastor Matt made as you do so. Were there any questions or concepts you’d like to discuss?
- Are you encouraged or discouraged knowing that forgiving others is to be modeled after God’s forgiveness?
- How often do others hear you ask, “Will you please forgive me?” Why are these words so difficult to say?
- Read Colossians 2:13-14. When you think about the un-payable debt you owed God, and then realize it’s been cancelled – nailed to the cross:
- What feelings and thoughts go through your mind?
- Is that a truth you think about often?
- Do you live like it’s been forgiven?
- As you think through this story, think about a time where you, like the servant, were stingy when it came to showing mercy to someone else and demanded “debt-repayment”, basically imprisoning a person who sinned against you?
- Share the circumstance.
- How does self-righteousness (seeing yourself as a pretty good person who is morally better than another) weaken your willingness and ability to forgive?
- In Matthew 18:31, the other servant noticed the bitterness and reported it to the King.
- Talk about how this message of forgiveness can be seen by those around us (our Oikos).
- What could be caught (by your Oikos) if it’s modeled well?
- What could be assumed (by your Oikos) if it’s not?
- Has either happened to you?
- To sum it all up – God forgives you based on what condition?
- How should we then forgive others? Look at Col. 3:12-14 and Eph. 4:32
A FORGIVEN PERSON IS A FORGIVING PERSON!
Please Note: This will be the last set of Sermon Questions until Labor Day Weekend in the fall when Life Groups will begin again. Please take the opportunity to enjoy your summer, check out some Summer Interest Groups listed under the CONNECT menu on the LEFC website, and be on the lookout for our Summer Elective Classes in August.