Group Discussion Guide
Prayer: Knowing and Experiencing God Sermon Series
“ Sin, Doubt, and Words That Hinder Prayer” by Pastor Tony
Choose the best question(s) for your group
Below are some discussion questions relating to a recent sermon. These are provided so that your Life Group can discuss what was shared. Previous Weeks’ Discussion Guides and Sermon Notes are available through the Sermons under the Resources menu. Click on the sermon series and then the sermon you are interested in. You will see a paper icon under the sermon title. Click the icon to open the sermon notes. To listen to the sermon, click on the speaker icon.
Texts: James 1:2-8; Mark 9:17-29; Luke 18:9-17
Prayer defined: Conversation between God and man.
- What are some of the qualities God desires in his followers as they pray through challenging times? How do continued trials help us develop them?
- How do these qualities help us when we pray? What one specific quality is essential to prayer - if the prayer is unanswered does it mean we don’t have it? (James 1:6-8)
- According to the passage in Mark, explain the frustration of Jesus with the man’s question using the word “If”. (Mark 9:22-24). What was the man’s admitted struggle? How does his admission help us?
- Discuss some strategies that might be utilized in showing God’s faithfulness to your Oikos when it comes to prayer?
- How do you think God decides how he answers our prayers? What values does he use in deciding his response to our petitions? What do our words (which show our heart) have to do with this?